Main Research Interests
- Natural language generation
- Spoken dialogue systems and chatbots
- Evaluation methods for NLG/dialogue/NLP
- NaMuDDiS – Natural Multi-domain Dialogue Systems (Charles University funded, 2019-2021)
- THEaiTRE – Automatically generating a theatre play (Czech Technical Agency, 2020-2022)
- EDU-AI – Education chatbot assistant (Czech Technical Agency, 2021-2023)
At Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh (2016-2018):
- DILiGENt – natural language generation
- MaDrIgAL – spoken dialogue systems
- Alexa Prize Challenge – chatbots (Alana – 2x finalist team, 2x 3rd place)
During my Ph.D. study (2011-2016):
- AdaNLG – adaptive natural language generator (2014-2016)
- Vystadial – statistical spoken dialogue system (2013-2016)
- QTLeap – semantic machine translation (2013-2016)
- Khresmoi – medical information retrieval (working on machine translation, 2013-2014)
- FAUST – improving machine translation fluency (2011-2013)
Students I supervise:
- Vojtěch Hudeček (Ph.D. at Charles Uni, with Zdeněk Žabokrtský, since 2018)
- Zdeněk Kasner (Ph.D. at Charles Uni since 2019)
- Jonáš Kulhánek (MSc. at Charles Uni since 2020)
- Sourabrata Mukherjee (Ph.D. at Charles Uni since 2019)
- Tomáš Nekvinda (completed MSc. at Charles Uni, 2019–2020; Ph.D. since 2020)
- Patrícia Schmidtová (completed BSc. at Charles Uni, with Vojtěch Hudeček, 2018–2019; MSc. since 2020)
- Daniel Štancl (Ph.D. at Charles Uni since 2020)
- Xinnuo Xu (Ph.D., CDT Robotics Edinburgh, with Verena Rieser & Ioannis Konstas, since 2016)
- Borek Požár (BSc. at Charles Uni, 2020-2021)
- Ondřej Plátek (Ph.D. at Charles Uni since 2021)
- Jaroslav Šafář (MSc. at Charles Uni since 2021)
- Ondřej Motlíček (MSc. at Charles Uni since 2021)
- František Trebuňa (MSc. at Charles Uni since 2021)
- Hana Roubalová (BSc. at Charles Uni since 2021)
- Vojtěch John (BSc. at Charles Uni since 2021)
My former students:
2021/09/21: Our INLG paper on NLG error analysis (van Miltenburg et al.) was awarded a Commendation for an outstanding position paper!
2021/07/26: I have 2 papers accepted at INLG 2021 – Underreporting of errors in NLG output, and what to do about it (van Miltenburg et al., multi-party collaboration) and the winning automatic metric for the Accuracy Evaluation Shared Task, titled Text-in-Context: Token-Level Error Detection for Table-to-Text Generation (Kasner et al.) with Simon Mille from Pompeu Fabra University.
2021/06/15: I started my summer research visit at Prof. Milica Gašić's lab at Heinrich-Heine University Düsseldorf
2021/05/28: Our paper Shades of BLEU, Flavours of Success: The Case of MultiWOZ (Nekvinda & Dušek) was accepted to the GEM ACL Workshop.
2021/05/06: 2 papers accepted at ACL 2021 – AggGen: Ordering and Aggregating while Generating (Xu et al.) with Heriot-Watt University and Discovering Dialogue Slots with Weak Supervision (Hudeček et al.) with Zhou Yu from Columbia University.
2021/04/21: Our collaboration with LIMSI – Defining And Detecting Inconsistent System Behavior in Task-oriented Dialogues (Schaub et al.) was accepted to the TALN-RÉCITAL conference.
2021/04/26: The EDUbot project (education chatbot) funded by the Czech Technical Agency has started. We'll add more news soon.
2021/03/02: We started the 2021 run of the Dialogue Systems course.
2021/02/26: The THEaiTRE project has had the premiere of the first AI-generated play on stage!
2020/12/17: The paper Evaluating data-to-text NLG accuracy by natural language inference by me & Zdeněk kasner has received the INLG 2020 Best Short Paper award!
2020/11/21: Two INLG 2020 papers by Zdeněk Kasner & me are now out on arXiv: Data-to-text generation by iterative text editing and Evaluating data-to-text NLG accuracy by natural language inference.
2020/11/16: The list of accepted papers and a preliminary schedule for the NLG Evaluation Workshop I'm co-organizing at INLG 2020 is now available.
2020/07/25: We got two papers on neural text-to-speech accepted to Interspeech, both are available on arXiv: Tomáš Nekvinda's One Model, Many Languages: Meta-learning for Multilingual Text-to-Speech and Jan Vainer's SpeedySpeech: Efficient Neural Speech Synthesis.
Tools I'm participating on
- Alex – spoken dialogue system framework
- Flect – statistical morphology generation
- MTMonkey – machine translation web services infrastructure
- RatPred – trainable NLG quality estimation
- TGen – a statistical natural language generator
- Treex – a modular NLP toolkit